Establishing Paternity

  • Have you had a child while not married to the child’s other parent?
  • Have you taken the necessary steps to ensure you and your child’s rights and financial well-being are protected?

When unmarried people have a child together special considerations must be addressed. In a case like this, either parent may file an action to establish paternity, which would allow these families to make sure that their children are cared for.

A Paternity action can help a parent to:

  • Determine the true parentage of the child
  • Obtain a paternity test
  • Establish Custody and Parenting Time
  • Negotiate Child Support